Skip to main content

The CEO of a hospital in Johannesburg looks back to the last five years to reflect on a lean healthcare transformation that is creating positive outcomes for patients.

The South African healthcare industry must look after 53.7 million people, 84% of them in the public sector. The remaining 16% of the population has private health insurance and spent 47% of the total health expenditure of R294 billion in 2015 ($23 billion at the exchange rate of the time). It’s clear that the public healthcare system has to do far more with far less. In this article, I’ll tell a little bit of the story of what has been happening in one busy 1,638-staff, 855-bed public hospital on the western outskirts of Johannesburg – Leratong Hospital, where I serve as CEO.

Read more on the Planet Lean website.